Sunday, July 19, 2009

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

This is kind of a silly question, but it is meant to provoke intellectual thought. So, I figured it is worth typing a blog over because I myself have studied a bit of angelology and this question has been brought to my attention before.

So, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? I don't think there is necessarily a limit. I guess in order to answer this question we must define what an angel is and if an angel even consists of physical properties. If angels do a specific size to them. Then it would be easy to answer this question. If angels were all 6 feet tall and looked close to humans. Or if angels were small enough for there to be a number of them that could dance on the head of a pin. Then I think it would be much easier to answer this question. But if they are immaterial beings, then it is possible an unlimited number of angels can dance on the head of a pin. And if that is true, then asking an amount of immaterial beings would be pointless to begin with.

The Bible does speak about angels though. I have typed a blog about angels and demons before. Angels usually appear was men or the angels themselves could be men. The Greek and Hebrew word used for angel both mean "messenger". So a human could be a messenger, or in that sense, an "angel". But not a spiritual angel that the Bible also talks about. Both Ezekiel and Isaiah describe angels in there visions in detail. Describing them with wings and such. I'm sure they were having a hard time trying to describe the things they were seeing. But it seems to me they saw literal, physical beings either way. Now, are they like that in this natural world, or are they only like that in the spiritual world? I do not know.

But I would have to say ultimately, whether they have a size or not, no angels can dance on the head of a pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment