Monday, March 30, 2009

Is Jesus God?

There is too much New Testament evidence that Jesus claimed to be God. I will not be able to fit it all in here, so I will only give the best verses. But in this blog, I will show you why Jesus Christ, is none other than God in the flesh.

"Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad." - John 8:56

"Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?" - John 8:57

"Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am." - John 8:58

Jesus first states that Abraham rejoiced when he saw His day. Who's day? God's day! Then, in the next verse, the Jews pointed out that Jesus wasn't even fifty years old yet. How could he have known Abraham? The Jews didn't take what Jesus said out of context. They knew what He was saying, this is why they said he isn't even fifty yet. But instead of Jesus rebuking them, or correcting them of what He said. He says "Verily, verily, I say unto you. Before Abraham was, I am!" Jesus was stressing this. And instead of saying before Abraham was, Yahweh, Jesus Himself was taking that title! It wouldn't make much sense to say "before Abraham was, Yahweh". Jesus was obviously taking that I am title for Himself. If Jesus was trying to correct Himself, He certainly didn't make it clear again. Jesus simply confirmed before Abraham was, He was.

Jesus made many "I am" statements. In fact, this is why he offended so many people and this is why the Jews wanted to put him to death. Because he was claiming to be God!


John 6:51:"I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever;"

John 8:23: And He said to them, "You are from beneath; I AM from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.

John 8:12: Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I AM the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."

John 10:9: "I AM the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture."

John 10:11: "I AM the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.

John 10:36: "do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'?

John 11:25: Jesus said to her, "I AM the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.

John 14:6: Jesus said to him, "I AM the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

John 15:1: "I AM the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.

John 19:2: Therefore the chief priests of the Jews said to Pilate, "Do not write, 'The King of the Jews,' but, 'He said, "I am the King of the Jews."'"


Not only was he claiming to be the "I am". But look at these verses, he was claiming to be divine in all of these.


"But of the Son He says, "YOUR THRONE, O GOD, IS FOREVER AND EVER, AND THE RIGHTEOUS SCEPTER IS THE SCEPTER OF HIS KINGDOM." - Hebrews 1:8

In this verse, the Father is calling the son, God!


"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." - John 1:1

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." - John 1:14


Conclusion: Jesus gave Himself all the titles of God in the Old Testament. Jesus forgave sins, while only God could do this. Jesus was acknowledged as God and did not rebuke it once! Jesus will return riding on a cloud, something only God can do, to bring judgment, something that only God can do as well. The evidence that Jesus was claiming to be God is overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment