Monday, February 16, 2009

"I lack belief in god"

This statement has became a quite often saying in the Atheist community. I for one, think it is a cop out to not deal with the problems with Atheism. I would hate to have to correct them, but the real definition is a rejection of Theism or a rejection of God. Of course they lack belief, but don't we all in many things? Why is it towards God? You see, I think both sides, to reject it or accept it take faith.

Lets look at what a dictionary really says about Atheism:

"a disbelief in the existence of deity" or "the doctrine that there is no deity".

It appears Atheism is more than a lack of belief. It actually IS a belief. A BELIEF that there is no deity. How do they come to this conclusion? I don't think it is due to the lack of evidence, I think it is due to simply the rejection of it all. In debating Atheists, I have seen that they come up with excuses or reject the evidences I put forth. To a certain point, it's like they are biased in some type of ideology and refuse to believe in God no matter what. They are will to put more faith in believing in making up an excuse than what the facts suggest. That being that there is a creator. I've even had Atheists tell me they would be against God even if it was totally proven He exists. This doesn't sound like people who say they simply lack belief in god. It seems like to me it is actually a choice, a group, who can even act religious.

How do they act religious you ask? Well, it's there ideas and beliefs that make them religious. You see, if you reject the idea of god or you simply lack belief, then you must have some type of belief or answers in life. Atheism itself may simply be a rejection of a god, but it is also wrapped in philosophy and a naturalistic view on life. Not all Atheists are the same, don't get me wrong. But it is a choice, a group of people who are seeking truth in life to. They are no different than any other religious group that try to answer things on a philosophical and ideological concept.

And even if everything I am saying is wrong, lets just take a look how most Atheists act. Most Atheists are anti-theists, thus, proving more that they are a group of people who entitle themselves "anti-theist". Because after all, Atheism is without Theism, it is a rejection of it. What makes them do such things or lead them to holding that position? I'll never know. I believe it's because they have beliefs and they don't like disagreement. I mean really, if Atheism is simply a lack of belief in god, then why do you hold an Atheistic position? There is no evidence or anything, it has to leg to stand on.
Atheism is an intellectual position. What reasons do you have for holding that position? Your reasons are based upon logic, and/or evidence or lack of it. So, is there any reason/evidence for you holding your position that you defend? If you say that atheism needs no evidence or reason, then you are holding a position that has no evidence or rational basis? If so, then isn’t that simply faith? If you say that atheism is supported by the lack of evidence for God, then it is only your opinion that there is no evidence. You cannot know all evidence for or against God, therefore you cannot say there is no evidence for God.


Let me just ask a random question. Is my dog an Atheist? I mean I'm sure he lacks belief in god. In fact, I think he doesn't believe in god. But do you know why my dog is not an Atheist? It's because he does not acknowledge what Atheism really is! He doesn't even know what Theism is. If he chose Atheism over Theism, it would be based on his personal choice.

Back on topic however, lets see how some Atheists act again. Why are there Atheist conventions where Atheists can fellowship and share there Atheism and how they became an Atheist? Also lets not forget the fact that other Atheists try to convert other people to there lack of belief in god. Yeah, but all of this only comes simply from a lack of belief in god...

No comments:

Post a Comment